Saturday, May 11, 2013

Let's Talk

So, I guess it's been awhile.

And it's quite obvious what we have to talk about first... Modern Vampires of the City! After 3 long years of waiting for the next Vampire Weekend album, it's finally here and it's their best yet. If you were like me and couldn't resist the temptation of the leak, then you've heard a masterpiece in itself. This lp shows how much they've matured as a band and as people. They're no longer kids who just graduated from Columbia; they're almost 30s who are pros at what they do. Plus, this band is so smart and a total smart-ass at the same time. I mean, they're clearly playing with us when they sing about Diane Young when they really mean Dying Young. And what about with their song, Ya Hey? Don't be disappointed when you realize it's not a response to OutKast's Hey Ya because they're actually calling out, Yahweh. Clever, right? And that's why I love them so much. It's still very much a Vampire Weekend tune and one that's worth "annoying" your neighbors with by blasting it through your speakers all day. I highly doubt anyone will be annoyed with the Dubs' music. But hey, look out your window sometime if you hear their music. You can never be too sure. They might just be there playing 'round your backyard.

I'm not here to bore you with the details of how MVOTC became a guessing game of what it meant and was dubbed as lp3 for the longest time and then called Lemon Sounds but was actually fake. And how they revealed what it meant thru a New York Times classified ad. Or details about how Unbelievers was New Song #2 at first upon playing Pitchfork last year. But I guess I already did. I mean, I could still bore you with some more but only if you want me to.

The truth is I just really want you to listen to their new album and vibe with me. Is that too much to ask?




*Totally avoiding writing about how I'm working now...*

No comments:

Post a Comment